For some you non-weather people (most who read this blog actually), this joke may be a little "inside baseball", so I apologize in advance. But I know at least a few of my facebook friends are fellow Air Force weather forecasters, and might appreciate this. Then again, I bet most of you actually suspect that this is how we come up with our weather guesses anyway ...
The following is taken from the picture above:
Forecasting Dust 101
by: SSgt Kevin "KJ" Johnson
- Acquire one regulation dart board
- Write the numbers 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on sticky note sheets
- Place above mentioned sticky note sheets on dart board
- Place blindfold over eyes
- Place forehead on end of baseball bat and spin around in circles for 5 minutes
- Run as fast as you can into a wall
- Get up and realize you are a total idiot
- Pick up 3 darts and throw them (at the same time) at the dart board
- Lowest value is the visibility in miles. If you fail to hit anywhere on the dart board, repeat steps 4-9
Exception: These rules do not apply if your name is Dave Smith (our mid-shift forecaster), Chuck Norris, and/or Jack Bauer. If your name is mentioned above, you have the right to tell the dust to stop F#!@?ng with our flights. ;-)
Hope you liked it.
p.s. I didn't do a blog post yesterday, but the picture I took was just a cheesy sunset so there wasn't much to write about