Well, it's early on New Year's eve here in Hawaii. Before I get off the computer to hang out with my family, I've been tidying up my Dream board, and getting my goals together for the coming year.
In the process, I came across a file, 10 Commandments of Goal Setting, on my hard drive. It's been posted a few places on the Internet before. But until I got it from Success University earlier this summer, I'd never seen it. So, I figured there's a reasonably good chance you might not have either.
I hope you find this useful in helping to make 2008 your best year ever.
1. THOU SHALL BE DECISIVE: Success is a choice. You must decide WHAT you want, WHY you want it, and HOW you plan to achieve it. No one else can, will, or SHOULD do that for you. It's your goal and your responsibility.
2. THOU SHALL STAY FOCUSED: A close relative to being decisive, but your ability to sustain your focus from beginning to end determines the timing and condition of your outcomes. Don't let outside distractions make your goals out of focus.
3. THOU SHALL WELCOME FAILURE: The fundamental question is not whether you should accept failure. You have no choice but to expect it as a temporary condition on the pathway of progress. Rather, the question is how to anticipate failure and redirect resources to grow from the experience. Remember what Les Brown said, "If you fall down, fall on your back because as long as you can LOOK UP you can GET UP".
4. THOU SHALL WRITE DOWN THY GOALS: Your mind, while blessed with permanent memory, is cursed with lousy recall. People forget things. WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS !!! Put them where you can see them every day. Send a copy to a friend, family member or a member of your upline. Establish accountability.
5. THOU SHALL PLAN THOROUGHLY: It is a proven fact that planning saves time at a 10:1 ratio in execution. PROPER PLANNING PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE !!!
6. THOU SHALL INVOLVE OTHERS: Nobody goes through life alone. Establish your own "Persoanl Board of Directors", people whose wisdom, knowledge and character you respect, to help achieve your goals. Once again, USE YOUR UPLINE!!! That's what we are here for.
7. THOU SHALL TAKE PURPOSEFUL ACTION: Success is not a spectator sport. Achievement demands action. You cannot expect to arrive at success without having made the trip.
8. THOU SHALL REWARD THYSELF: Rewards work !!! Think of what you will give yourself as a result of hard work, focus and persistance. Create your own ACTION = REWARD program and implement it. You DESERVE IT !
9. THOU SHALL INSPECT WHAT THY EXPECT: The shelf life of all plans are limited. No plan holds up against opposition. Everything changes. Therefore, inspect frequently and closely what is going on with your plan. It's an insurance policy on your success.
10. THOU SHALL MAINTAIN PERSONAL INTEGRITY: Maitain your COMMITMENT to your COMMITMENT! Set your goals, promise yourself that you will achieve them and eliminate wiggle room and excuses. That's personal integrity. EXCUSES and LAME JUSTIFICATION are the poisons that kill all goals!!!
So, how many of the 10 Commandments have you already incorporated into your goal setting plan?
Keep havin FuN!